Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

Pasta with Meat Sauce



Happy Friday!!  This has been a great week!  I am loving the work I am doing at a local health department, the weather is nice (for now), and I have been pottery painting twice!  And let's not forget--it's spring!!  This weekend I hope to get a head start on some crafty things I have been wanting to do.  Should be fun!



Having been out of the house every day this week, I reached back for some easy go-to recipes.  Today I'm sharing with you my lightened up version of pasta with meat sauce.  This recipe is easy to whip up on a busy day, and it is a great switch up from our normal pasta and (homemade) marinara sauce.  But, really, I just love Italian food!

I made this recipe light by using lower fat ground beef and ground turkey breast. I also do my best to add some extra vegetables.  The result is still delicious!  Serve it with some whole wheat pasta and part-skim mozzarella cheese, and enjoy!

Pasta with Meat Sauce
Makes 6-8 servings

2 Tbs olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2/3 lb ground beef (92% lean or more)
2/3 lb ground turkey breast
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp basil
1 1/2 tsp sugar

Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5-10 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 additional minutes.

Add the ground beef and turkey to the pan.  Break the meat apart and cook until meat is cooked through.  Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir to combine.  

Bring the sauce to a boil.  Add the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, basil and sugar.  Stir well to combine. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook for at least 20 minutes.  

Serve over whole wheat pasta and top with cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment